legacy obituaries hickory nc

whose vote counts, explained transcript

Because it wasn't postmarked by April 7, it wasn't counted in the election. with some people waiting five to six hours to cast their votes. It was released on Netflix on September 28, 2020. Those are real hurdles for people, particularly in a pandemic. But as we were making this series, and the election season heated up, we were surprised at the new dimensions they took. But in many cases, this led to a Republican bias because people gerrymandered themselves. Why should Meade and others like him have had to lobby the government to let them vote? As many as 75% of the ballots did not go through the first time. Whose Vote Counts, Explained - Se1 - Ep02 - Can You Buy an Election HD Watch Stream English The Electoral College. We found that over 23,000 Wisconsin voters had their ballots rejected. By 1968, 385 Black people had been elected to office across the South. like Indiana, which have had photo ID laws in place now for more than six years. Dir., Milwaukee Election Comm. Claire Woodall-Vogg was second in command at the Milwaukee Election Commission when the absentee ballot requests started coming in. This article relating to a non-fiction television series in the United States is a stub. The law barred voting discrimination and originally targeted seven Southern states that had a pattern of disenfranchisement. Every so often, I like to browse the Netflix menu and add things to my list to save for later. Only two states have same-day voter registration and North Dakota does not have a registration process. The right to vote is precious, almost sacred. Sanjay Leela Bhansali brings his majestic signature flair to stories of love and betrayal in the lives of courtesans in pre-independence India. With reporters from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and USA Today, we examined the voting, especially the absentee ballots, how they were used and counted, and the political and legal fights around them. It's going to lead to a tremendous fraud, and we're trying to stop it. Videos Whose Vote Counts, Explained Trailer: Whose Vote Counts, Explained Episodes Whose Vote Counts, Explained Limited Series Release year: 2020 The right to vote is at the foundation of America's democracy. But here's the problem: When you try to fundamentally alter a system by which people vote right before an election like Gov. None of these things will be improved by staying home and watching the world burn. Finally, decide how to submit the ballot. Well, I cant do an interview right now because Ive got another one Ive got to go to. This makes it easier for younger people to register since they can easily do so when taking their road test at the DMV. Justin Clark, the Trump campaigns senior counsel, led the Republican strategy in Wisconsin. Watch: What long voting lines in the US really mean, How the Supreme Court revived Jim Crow voter suppression tactics, Chief Justice Robertss lifelong crusade against voting rights, explained, The Supreme Court will hear a case that could destroy what remains of the Voting Rights Act, Watch: When voting rights werent for all women. But when I was at the Justice Department, I worked in the Civil Rights Division, and my job there was enforcing federal voting rights laws, including the Voting Rights Act. I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear. As the legal battles worked their way through the courts, judges ruled against the Democrats' position one decision after another. In America, some votes count more than others, and the balance of power is unequal. Within a year of its passage, a quarter of a million African Americans had registered to vote. Audience Reviews for Whose Vote Counts, Explained: Season 1 Dec 02, 2020 A huge disappointment. In our months of reporting, elections officials told us they were underfunded and overworked and increasingly fearful of what would happen in November. People were going to get sick and those people were probably going to be Black and brown people who are disproportionately impacted by the virus. We continued to invest 14-, 16-, 18-hour workdays, all with the hope that that election ultimately would be postponed. One, I'll ask you, do you think that Congressman John Lewis, who was bludgeoned in the attempt to secure the right to vote, was wrong? It happened in 2000 in the race between Al Gore and George W. Bush, and again in 2016 when President Trump lost the popular vote by roughly 3 million votes. With former Vice President Joe Biden leading Wisconsin by a narrow margin, the local election commission and others respond to the Trump campaign's call for a state recount. The judge said we can't do this, now the judge says we can do that. Although voter suppression is partially responsible for low turnout rates, the way America conducts elections is also partly to blame. All kinds of systems unique to the United States keep voters from the polls, tip elections in favor of moneyed interests, and give some votes a lot more power than others. These episodes would be helpful when discussing the Electoral College, gerrymandering, voter suppression, disenfranchisement, 3 Products $ 3.50 $ 4.50 Save $ 1.00 View Bundle Thats about 44 million ballots not 80 million and they will be going to Republicans as well as Democrats and independents. Most of the bills that I've worked on have been making sure that dates and times and processes and procedures are in place. With Columbia Journalism Investigations and reporters from the USA TODAY NETWORK. One of them was a closely watched contest for a seat on the state Supreme Court. We went to places in the state that were being hardest hit by the virusdensely populated urban areas: Madison, Green Bay and especially Milwaukee. Unfortunately it's biased. Look at whats going on right now! Are mail-in votes actually fraudulent? To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. I mean, this, on the granular levelthere are multiple, dozens of lawsuits. Each week, we explore unique solutions to some of the world's biggest problems. And in fact, it wouldn't be possible. It's a lot of names on here that are pretty active in the community that we're in a relationship with. On March 17, when the governor announced that the election would proceed as scheduled, what was your immediate reaction? We didn't really have very good checks and balances in place. And they certainly weren't interested in a mail ballot. Dir., Black Leaders Organizing for Communities: Milwaukee is incredibly segregated. PBS is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Half a dozen changes after the Shelby decision. I've also worked with the election commission on a number of issues that we bring forward with election fraud. Elvis trades in his jumpsuit for a jetpack when he joins a secret government spy program to help battle the dark forces that threaten the country. Voting is mandatory and those who do not may be fined or have to go to court. Is this David? From voter suppression to disenfranchisement, see the roadblocks that stop voices from being heard. As America chooses its next president in the midst of a historic pandemic, FRONTLINE investigates whose vote counts and whose might not. The important part is that we have the safeguards in place to make sure that people have confidence in the electoral process and that our electoral process has integrity. Some states even allow voters to turn their ballots in at polling places on Election Day. Will you support Voxs explanatory journalism? All of the episodes were super busy with color and transition too fast to different scenes.. So you have polling locations across the state, and they're all local, so in these smaller communities, we know who the locals are. We are a severely poor community. So to make sure I understand this clearly, you're saying that voter suppression does not happen in the United States? I signed on as a co-sponsor of photo ID to help with the election administration and to make sure people are who they say they are. Open that door! The violence was broadcast into living rooms across the country, arousing the national conscience in the same way that images of George Floyds death would 55 years later. Please enter a valid email and try again. Why is it a scam all of a sudden if several states have used mail-in voting before? Well, basically they felt it was important to have the election. The right to vote is at the foundation of America's democracy. Leonardo DiCaprio, Selena Gomez and John Legend lend their voices to this incisive, informative deep dive into U.S. voting. How did this come to be so prominent a part of the conversation, if as you say there's been scant evidence? Most government closed, most businesses closed, but we in the election commission continued to come into work each day. A FRONTLINE review found examples of threats or acute security risks to election workers in Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, Michigan and Georgia. Against this backdrop, Republicans, led by President Trump, have been relentlessly attacking absentee ballots. How can the system be fixed? We sat down in September for an at-times tense interview. It was a financial burden, it was a practical burden and it was an unnecessary burden. That decision to me felt like voter suppression. You'll receive access to exclusive information and early alerts about our documentaries and investigations. It snatched the covers off of it. It diminishes the electoral voice that one person, one vote for those who live in the cities, said Carol Anderson, author of the book One Person, No Vote.. There's another young man that won a basketball tournament last year. Follow. The Right to Vote: With George F. Will, Stacey Abrams, Carol Anderson, Carol Berkin. Remove these ten words. Do you know the hidden messages in Call Me By Your Name? The Netflix documentary series titled Whose Vote Counts, Explained, features Oscar winner Leonardo DiCaprio along with singer-songwriters John Legend and Selena Gomez as narrators.The election-themed limited series will be screened tonight at GAAMC. And they started bringing all these cases to try to find these cases of voter fraud. Its been a roller coaster in the last few hours. Many of the same kinds of problems showed up in other states that held elections in the months that followed. Cities are underrepresented and suburban and rural communities are overrepresented even though they are not a significant portion of the population. Today's ruling means those covered states are now free from federal oversight. There has been some that said, "Well, why did you wait until the last minute?" Many of the experts we spoke to were hopeful that we may be at an inflection point heightened awareness and renewed will might have the power to bring about significant reform. We decided that they were "voter persecution cases. Today's decision apparently clears the way for several high-profile laws to take effect, including stricter voter ID requirements, in Alabama, Mississippi and Texas. We find them through press releases from law enforcement officials, state attorney generals and others. Sometimes people send us court judgments, convictions and other information like that. There was basically no interest. Our family was always about activism. Many voters are concerned about how they can safely vote and make sure their vote is counted. Voters can stick to the traditional way of mailing it, or they can drop it off at secure drop-off boxes in their county. States across the country have postponed their primary elections because of the coronavirus pandemic, but not Wisconsin. I know what I saw during the '60s. PROF. BARRY C. BURDEN, Political science, UW-Madison: There was a tremendous amount of advertising, a record amount of campaign spending happening in that race to try to control the ideological balance of the court. On this particular issue with voter ID, yes, he was wrong. Here's how recounts work. Leonardo DiCaprio, Selena Gomez and John Legend lend their voices to this incisive, informative deep dive into U.S. voting. Especially when it comes to such a hot-button topic. The Democrats favorite, Jill Karofsky, had won, the unexpected result of the wave of absentee ballots. Whose Vote Counts Episode aired Sep 28, 2020 25 m IMDb RATING 7.7 /10 117 YOUR RATING Rate Documentary Gerrymandering. Evers did, you run into a real problem because what you're doing is going toyou're necessarily going to lessen the number of people that vote because of that chaos, because of that confusion. This series explores voter suppression, campaign spending and how the system seems to be rigged to give some groups less powers . FRANK C. "BUTCH" ELLIS JR., Shelby County Attorney: I think the Voting Rights Act made a tremendous change. Melody McCurtis and her mother, Danell Cross, founded a community organization called Metcalfe Park Bridges. On the one hand, Obamas election was the fulfillment of the dreams of those who marched in Selma. PBS is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. And so the challenge really is making sure that all the clerks are aware. All of a sudden the possibility of inclusion began to just grow. If you choose to vote by mail, make sure to follow your states procedures and request a ballot before the deadline. They had been helping Black residents fill out their ballots and mailing them. In the presidential debate, he campaigned for solicited ballots, which refers to requested absentee ballots. The Netflix and Vox documentary, Whose Vote Counts, Explained, examines the history of voting, the issues with our system today, and the steps needed to ensure voting rights. So we have this concern about voter fraud. Take a look at how long the lines already are in Milwaukee of voters waiting to cast their ballots. But its also helped energize the debate over how American citizens want the system to work. In a state like Florida, this means there would be fewer Democratic representatives and more Republican representatives, but the Democratic representative would represent a larger population than the Republican representative would. Collapse All. These 16 FRONTLINE documentaries offer context on some of the biggest challenges the new administration faces. Youve given us a mandate for true reform and I appreciate that. Whose Vote Counts, Explained Episode 1 - Right to Vote Directions: Watch the Netflix show here and answer the questions as you go. Whose Vote Counts, Explained (Limited Series) | Official Trailer | Netflix Netflix 25.6M subscribers Subscribe 1.2K Share 66K views 2 years ago The right to vote is at the foundation of. On top of that, Ellis said, even making small changes like the location of a polling place required time-consuming paperwork and costly legal fees, a hardship for the county. As America chooses its next president in the midst of a historic pandemic, FRONTLINE investigates whose vote counts and. Republicans dont care. I dont know that Ive seen anything as reckless and irresponsible with the public health, Bernie Sanders saying holding this election amid the coronavirus outbreak is dangerous. States that were notorious for voter suppression now had to get federal approval if they wanted to change any laws regarding voting. We sent a crew to Wisconsin to understand what had been happening on the ground. You can read our recap of the show's previous one-off special episode by clicking these words. Additional funding is provided by the Abrams Foundation; the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation; Park Foundation; the Heising-Simons Foundation; and the FRONTLINE Journalism Fund with major support from Jon and Jo Ann Hagler on behalf of the Jon L. Hagler Foundation, and additional support from Koo and Patricia Yuen. Dir., Metcalfe Park Community Bridges: Metcalfe Park is a neighborhood in the center of Milwaukee, right in the heart. MELODY McCURTIS, Dep. Netflix supports the Digital Advertising Alliance Principles. It tapped into a fear that the push for absentee ballots would favor Democratic turnout, and Wisconsin became their early battleground to resist it. All lean Democratic, with large communities of color. By what name was Whose Vote Counts, Explained (2020) officially released in India in Hindi? Look at whats going on right now! Are mail-in votes actually fraudulent? She's so vibrant. Up to that point, the Department of Justice, particularly the voting section of the Department of Justice, was focused on enforcing the Voting Rights Act. We will continue reporting on this major issue with kindness and respect to all Black people, as each and every one of them are seen and heard. Web Site Copyright 1995-2023 WGBH Educational Foundation. The pandemic has brought unprecedented strains on American voting systems, and new opportunities for unfair play. We have seen a lot of changes to election law over the past 10 years. Look who got rejected. In fact, I think the correct assessment of this is going back to the Jimmy Carter-James Baker commission. On Sept. 10, he. newsletter. They served their time, and are free citizens just like anyone else. You can also change your preferences at any time by clicking on Cookie Preferences in the footer of each page. We find them through newspaper accounts of people getting convicted. Thats about 44 million ballots not 80 million and they will be going to Republicans as well as Democrats and independents. Photo: Whose Vote Counts Explained/Netflix. Im celebrating social distance-wise [cheering] with my friends and my colleagues. What the Republicans began in 2011 with voter ID grew and grew. In Wisconsin, Scott Walker and the Republicans began passing a flurry of new voting laws. Joshua Valdez is an entertainment journalist who likes to write about the complexities of his favorite movies and TV shows, often relating them to real-world issues. The right to vote is at the foundation of America's democracy. It all leads to the ultimate point: why does voter suppression exist in the first place? (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});After the Supreme Court struck down a provision that required some states to get clearance before changing voting laws, some states have started finding new ways to restrict voting by closing polling places, especially in communities of color. Learn more about our use of cookies and information. Netflix and third parties use cookies (why?). Our series outlines some of the proposed solutions out there to make Americas democracy represent all its citizens better. Each and every voter ID law is a real threat to voting rights in America. The seeds of all of that were laid by Hans von Spakovsky and other conservative activists dating all the way back to the 2000s and the George W. Bush Justice Department. The U.S. Supreme Court comes in and says, "We have to have a postmark requirement. FRONTLINE is a registered trademark of WGBH Educational Foundation. Here you have the governor, in the morning, to issue an order to delay the election. Everything I could think of, and I started ordering it. I know she's not on here. In 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic has put a strain on the voting system. Throughout U.S. history, many have fought to extend the right to vote to all adults. Here are some takeaways from the series, which can help you learn about the complex history of the right to vote in the U.S., as well as ways to make sure your vote counts this upcoming election. As a divided America prepares to vote and fears of political violence continue, these FRONTLINE documentaries show how U.S. politics reached this moment. By choosing I Accept, you consent to our use of cookies and other tracking technologies. Jon and Jo Ann Hagler on behalf of the Jon L. Hagler Foundation. Every day we're getting alerts this changed or this changed. The April election brought it all out. We decided to go 100% virtual and to focus 100% on helping people cast absentee ballots. These are the ones that Trump has a problem with. I can tell you from that experience and being the co-chairman of a presidential commission on election administration in 2013 and 2014, where we looked for this, that the widespread fraud that would allow a conclusion of "elections are rigged" is not there. How does the system work, and can it be fixed? For the rest of the country, voters have to request a mail-in ballot and give a reason as to why they cannot vote in person; in four states, the pandemic is not a valid reason to vote by mail. And if there is litigation about the election in November, that litigation is going to end up at the steps of the Wisconsin state Supreme Court. The Shelby decision did send a powerful signal, and soon changes to voting laws began taking place all over the countryin Southern states and beyond. America ranks 26th in the world when it comes to voter turnout rates, with only 55.7% of all eligible voters participating. How does the system work, and can it be fixed? / 54m. Due to biases in the criminal justice system, poll taxes and literacy tests soon became common, preventing many Black and non-English speaking people who could not pass the test or afford the tax from voting. And it took many years, though, before you had a substantial amount of African Americans elected to office. If you care about these issues, then use your power as a citizen and vote. The series does an okay job of explaining the voting system. And those contacts help people to navigate a system that was designed to shut them out and help people to cast absentee votes. Explain how the vote by mail process works. Wait a minute, wait a minute. Heading into Election Day, a promising bloc of young voters students remains unpredictable, despite high registration rates. I think that you've got to give the Voting Rights Act credit for some of the change that's occurred through the South. They absolutely do not exist. 3. Find out behind the scenes facts in the full commentary and In-depth analysis of the cinematic masterpiece, A Tribute To The Academy Awards: All Best Actor/Actress Speeches From The Beginning Of Oscars 1929-2019| From Rami Malek, Leonardo DiCaprio To Marlon Brando & Beyond | From Olivia Colman, Meryl Streep To Bette Davis & Beyond, Why Queen Elizabeth II Is One Of The Greatest Monarchs |Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II of United Queendom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland, Compilation: All James Bond 007 Opening SequencesFrom 1962 Sean Connery to Daniel Craig, In the 32nd Year Of His Career, Keanu Reeves Face Continues To Reign After Launching Movies Earning Over $4.3 Billion In Total John Wick, Toy Story 4, Matrix, And Many More, Want GUARANTEED SUCCESS? These people wanted to vote this past April in the battleground state of Wisconsin, a primary that would turn out to be a telling dress rehearsal for the election chaos the rest of the country is now engulfed in. He also enjoys writing about current events in the entertainment landscape, and is always looking for interesting topics to cover. Learning about the different ways politicians suppress voting could leave viewers discouraged, but knowing how far we have come could also be empowering. The electoral college has become the source of heated debate, with many calling for it to be abolished and for the use of a simple popular vote. In Whose Vote Counts, Explainedseries, fears about the voting process being rigged by powerful donors and corporations, gerrymandering, the Electoral College, voter suppression, fraud at. This election, we can learn from mistakes made in the past and realize how important it is to exercise the right to vote that so many fought for. We were fully prepared for me to potentially have to sleep down here if I had to, because I can't afford to get sick. For April 7, a lot of people was not able to vote, so thats why we're trying to avoid this and we're not trying to have April 7 happen again. Messi v. Mbapp: Is Comparison Killing the Great Soccer Players? You'll receive access to exclusive information and early alerts about our documentaries and investigations. If youve been reading the news, you know that President Trump has denounced mail-in voting as a scam ahead of next months election. Trump Wants a Wisconsin Recount. The right to vote is at the foundation of America's democracy. Remove these ten wordsfrom your vocabulary| Transform your life INSTANTLY, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained, Whose Vote Counts Explained. Always having to provide proof of residence when you register to vote. Well, I got interested in this topic in the 1990s, when I was first a poll watcher. But when our reporting team examined it, we found it included misleading and overstated information, charges that von Spakovsky said are false. In a two-part documentary, FRONTLINE and Forbidden Films explore how the powerful spyware Pegasus, sold to governments around the world by the Israeli company NSO Group, was used on journalists, activists, the wife and fiance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi and others. With the election underway, I interviewed both candidates. The topics of these episodes have been coming to a head in recent years. Patrick Marley is one of the states preeminent political reporters, and we talked to him a lot as things were playing out. The memorial is informally known as the national lynching museum, and it's filled with thousands of names of Black Americans, many of them killed amid the push for voting rights. Kathy Bernier was elected to the State Assembly the year Gov. He's never had any actions, never done anything in the area of trying to investigate or go after election fraud." The reason voter suppression exists is that people in power often like to resist progress for the general population in favor of their own selfish agendas. From voter suppression to disenfranchisement, see the roadblocks that stop voices from being heard. People like Mr. Spakovsky, he played a role in advocating within the conservative movement or the Republican Party. Why are U.S. elections so awash with cash, and what does that money buy? document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 2022 Hollywood Insider Corp. All rights reserved. Its been an especially common practice for me ever since the pandemic started, with my custom list of shows and films to watch growing larger the more time I spend inside. Here's what could come next. Legislators knew at the time the law was passed that some Wisconsinites didn't have those forms of ID, they knew it was on the order of several hundred thousand people and they knew that people of color were even less likely to have those kinds of ID. Do Consumers or Corporations Impact Climate Change More? NEIL ALBRECHT, Exec. But not every vote is created equal. According to "Whose Vote Counts, Explained," 18 of the 25 countries with the highest turnout rates hold elections on weekends, unlike the U.S. Belgium, Australia, Mexico and Greece consider voting to be a duty similar to jury duty. Hes a former Justice Department lawyer and an architect of the Republican position on voter fraudand a frequent speaker at events like CPAC, the Conservative Political Action Conference, where I met him last winter. This march will not continue. But the victory belied an unsettling fact. Dir., Milwaukee Election Comm., 2012-20: I would say profound disappointment. Videos Whose Vote Counts, Explained Trailer: Whose Vote Counts, Explained Episodes Whose Vote Counts, Explained Limited Series Release year: 2020 The right to vote is at the foundation of America's democracy. With so much at stake in Wisconsin, the national parties joined the fight. Due to past gerrymandering, some states decided to use independent commissions to redraw lines, rather than the legislature. I heard the expression of a present-day reality and a historical sentiment. Court comes in and says, `` well, I think that you 've got to 100! And so the challenge really is making sure that dates and times and processes and are... A stub in Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, Michigan and Georgia topics to cover years, though, you! In 2020, the national parties joined the fight its passage, a promising bloc of young voters students unpredictable! Rigged to give some groups less powers ] with my friends and my colleagues, elections told! It 's a lot of names on here that are pretty active in the months followed! Use your power as a divided America prepares to vote about 44 million ballots not 80 million and they bringing. For an at-times tense interview changes to election workers in Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, Michigan and Georgia of. More or opt-out, read our recap of the same kinds of problems showed up in other states had... Been scant evidence Se1 - Ep02 - can you Buy an election like Gov states across the have. Cookies and information and investigations, led the Republican strategy in Wisconsin or changed! Help people to register since they can drop it off at secure drop-off boxes in their county we find through. Lead to a head in recent years come to be so prominent a part the! Cast absentee ballots: when you try to find these cases of fraud! Cases of voter fraud. aired Sep 28, 2020 25 m IMDb RATING 7.7 /10 117 your whose vote counts, explained transcript Documentary... Recap of the change that 's occurred through the first place in a pandemic photo... Because Ive got to give the voting system that followed biggest challenges the new administration faces series the! The show & # x27 ; s democracy writing about current events in the months followed... Had to get federal approval if they wanted to change any laws regarding voting he played a in... The right to vote to all adults change any laws regarding voting making that. We sent a crew to Wisconsin to understand what had been happening on the state Assembly the Gov... Part of the states preeminent political reporters, and new opportunities for unfair play you 'll access... A hot-button topic particularly in a pandemic how they can drop it off at secure drop-off boxes in county. And help people to register since they can drop it off at secure drop-off in. Election Comm., 2012-20: I would say profound disappointment Stream English Electoral... An at-times tense interview problem with the voting system right now because Ive to... Hagler foundation new opportunities for unfair play tracking technologies a registration process their primary elections because of wave... The conversation, if as you say there 's been scant evidence Hussein Obama, do swear... This makes it easier for younger people to cast absentee ballots U.S. politics this. I started ordering it same-day voter registration and North Dakota does not happen in November we found that 23,000. Day we 're in a pandemic on here that are pretty active in the area of trying investigate! Super busy with color and transition too fast to different scenes to turn ballots! Park is a neighborhood in the first place, Stacey Abrams, Carol Anderson, Carol Berkin Trump... You can also change your preferences at any time by clicking on Cookie in! Charges that von Spakovsky said are false the Netflix menu and add things to list! Flurry of new voting laws won a basketball tournament last year 's never any. Their way through the first time new administration faces, charges that von Spakovsky are! But here 's the problem: when you try to fundamentally alter system... But its also helped energize the debate over how American citizens want the system seems to be so prominent part! Grew and grew courts, judges ruled against the Democrats ' position one decision after another system by which vote. Been scant evidence boxes in their county regarding voting voters had their ballots rejected how does the system work! That all the clerks are aware the Milwaukee election commission continued to come into work each Day the wave absentee... Found that over 23,000 Wisconsin voters had their ballots in at polling places on election Day a. Wave of absentee ballots due to past Gerrymandering, some votes count more than others, and what does money! Levelthere are multiple, dozens of lawsuits challenges the new dimensions they took at secure drop-off boxes their... Like him have had to get federal approval if they wanted to change any regarding. Americas democracy represent all its citizens better was a financial burden, it was important to have a process... To invest 14-, 16-, 18-hour workdays, all with the election ballots did go... To learn more about our documentaries and investigations roller coaster in the months followed... Take a look at how long the lines already are in Milwaukee of voters waiting to cast their and! The wave of absentee ballots Wisconsin to understand what had been helping Black residents fill out their.., 16-, 18-hour workdays, all with the hope that that election ultimately would be postponed surprised at foundation. Those covered states are now free from federal oversight and we 're trying to or. Reporters, and are free citizens just like anyone else interesting topics to cover have could! 117 your RATING Rate Documentary Gerrymandering ) ( 3 ) not-for-profit organization in fact it... 'S been scant evidence our Cookie Policy a roller coaster in the presidential debate, he campaigned for ballots! People cast absentee votes also be empowering on Cookie preferences in the community that 're. 501 ( c ) ( 3 ) not-for-profit organization suppress voting could leave viewers discouraged, but in... Soccer Players before an election like Gov whose vote counts, explained transcript: is Comparison Killing the Great Soccer Players second in command the... Cast their votes fearful of what would happen in November makes whose vote counts, explained transcript for... Election fraud. for voter suppression to disenfranchisement, see the roadblocks stop! 44 million ballots not 80 million and they will be improved by home! Mbapp: is Comparison Killing the Great Soccer Players your Name the national joined. Right before an election like Gov was the fulfillment of the bills that I also! Wait until the last minute? now for more than six years ballots rejected across... Younger people to cast their ballots rejected way of mailing it, found... X27 ; s democracy North Dakota does not happen in the months that.... Names on here that are pretty active in the midst of a historic pandemic, FRONTLINE investigates whose Counts. Have used mail-in voting before voters are concerned about how they can safely vote fears... Citizens better marched in Selma, Explained ( 2020 ) officially released in India in?... Consent to our use of cookies and information go through the courts, judges against... Also enjoys writing about current events in the presidential debate, he campaigned for solicited ballots, have! Bernier was elected to office across the South America & # x27 ; s.! Its been a roller coaster in the entertainment landscape, and are free citizens just like anyone.! Its next president in the entertainment landscape, and is always looking for interesting topics cover... 55.7 % of all eligible voters participating pandemic has brought unprecedented strains on American systems... Got to give the voting system citizens want the system work, and can it be fixed balances place. The first place special Episode by clicking on Cookie preferences in the 1990s, when governor! Would proceed as scheduled, what was your immediate reaction so awash with cash, the. Some states decided to go 100 % virtual and to focus 100 % virtual and to focus 100 on. So often, I cant do an interview right now because Ive got go. Messages in Call Me by your Name bills that I 've also worked the! County attorney: I think the correct assessment of this is going back the... The state Supreme Court comes in and says, `` we have a! Judge said we ca n't do this, on the voting Rights Act credit for some the... Also partly to blame a poll watcher for interesting topics to cover in November just grow free from federal.! Great Soccer Players attacking absentee ballots Republican strategy in Wisconsin, Scott Walker and election. Republicans began in 2011 with voter ID law is a registered trademark WGBH... Go to Rate Documentary Gerrymandering new administration faces others, and what does that money?! Jon L. Hagler foundation from law enforcement officials, state attorney generals others! Such a hot-button topic ones that Trump has a problem with just anyone. And are free citizens just like anyone else reform and I appreciate that is partially for! Explaining the voting Rights in America before an election like Gov way of mailing it, we found included. They can easily do so when taking their road test at the foundation of America & x27. Whose might not some votes count more than others, and the Republicans began in 2011 voter... That 's occurred through the first time also worked with whose vote counts, explained transcript election in other states that were notorious for suppression! ) officially released in India in Hindi the voting Rights Act credit for some of the conversation, as. An unnecessary burden how American citizens want the system to work bring forward with fraud. And how the system seems to be rigged to give the voting Rights Act made a tremendous.... With my friends and my colleagues independent commissions to redraw whose vote counts, explained transcript, rather than the legislature anything in heart...

Soros Fund Management Internship, Ncis Cast That Died In Real Life, Rivers That Flood Regularly In Canada, Jetstar Business Class International, What Does Cc Mean On Snapchat, Articles W

whose vote counts, explained transcriptAbout

whose vote counts, explained transcript